Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Hola, Me Llamo Sarah!!

So the true adventure begins!! I made it to Guadalajara in one piece with all my luggage so it was a good day. To get to me final destination though I had to fly 15 hours, go through 3 customs, and think my luggage is lost twice! I was supposed to meet one of the school drivers in a red polo but that was not the case so after a few moments of searching for this red polo I saw a sign with my name on it!! The man was a teacher at the school and came to pick me and Clinton (an American that was with me in Rio) and take us to our home stays.

We first dropped Clinton off at his house and then it was my turn! Mi familia es Rodolfo and Estela. They have been housing students for the last 26 years and have had over 80 students live at their house!! Estela said that she has only had one bad experience from all the years of housing language students. They speak pretty much only Spanish but will help me if/when I have no clue what is going on. I understand some of what is going on but not that much so I just nod my head and say "si". Rodolfo is a lawyer so is starting to get ready for retirement and Estela is a homemaker. Rodolfo is very quiet and kind and Estela is more outgoing and is a great cook! They are now my Mexican mom and dad!!




Another great thing about the house is my new friend Rita!! From the first time I saw her and she saw me, we had an immediate bond. I love her because she runs in circles when I come home from school and will curl up next to me when I am doing my homework or on the computer. And she looooves to give besos (kisses)!! If you haven't already guessed Rita is a dog . . . a chihuahua at that. She does not like her picture taken so this is the best I got right now.



My room is pretty big especially consider the room, I mean closet, I used to have back home!! It was their son's room. For decorations he placed all menus, tickets stubs, fliers, and matchbooks from his travels! Its pretty neat to look around and see what it was like to be a teenager in 90s. You can see some of the decorations in the picture below.



There is another student living in the house also. His name is Julio, and he is Portugal. He is studying at a university in town. He is really nice but when he tries to speak Spanish to me, I do not understand him at all!! With Estela and Rodolfo I can at least get the gist of what they are saying!!


The first couple of days at school were realllllllllly hard. My teachers even commented on how much better I was doing after the first two days. I was soooooo overwhelmed I think for one being in another country and two not knowing the language. Being a perfectionist I was making it even harder on myself and still am a little! There will more about the school on another post shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment