Sunday, July 17, 2011

Abu Dhabi, UAE!!

So I am finally here!! I can not believe it . . . I knew I always had a possibility of coming here for courses but never thought it would happen! It was a long journey!! It ended taking 2 1/2 days to get here!! I left on Thurs. at around 4 pm to Mexico City and then got on a flight to Frankfurt. I got to Frankfurt around 2 pm on Fri.!! My flight to Abu Dhabi was not till the next day so I got a hotel in downtown Frankfurt and walked around. It was such a beautiful day . . . so refreshing after being in the heat of Carmen for so long!!


I definitely want to go back to Germany sometime soon . . . it is a really interesting place and it is part of my heritage!! Being there now makes me want to learn German, but I doubt that is going to happen!


I ended up getting to Abu Dhabi around 8:30 at night and went straight to the training center. It took about 25 miuntes in the taxis and it was interesting looking out the windows at the landscape even though it was dark. All you could see were these towers with a green light. I would find out later that these were the mosques. Instead of being at home in the Bible-belt, I am now in the Koran-belt!! There are over 2,000 mosques in Abu Dhabi alone!! I will get to more of that in a later post.

The next day I started class and had my big presentation. Things went pretty well, and I was glad to just get it done!! Another thing about that day is I experienced what true heat is . . . I thought I knew what it was like but here it is about 110 degrees everyday and the heat is smothering . . . you step outside and you can't breathe!! Also I learned that it is flat and sandy . . . enough said!! Below are some pictures from outside my base and a picture with Carlos who works with me in Carmen being sad because we were not able to make it to our friend Karina's wedding back in Mexico.


I am excited to share all me experiences here!! Look out for more posts and most likely more frequently since I have a little more time on my hands!! I am excited to see what I learn about this amazing culture and share it with everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment