Sunday, April 10, 2011

Adventures of Running a New Tool

The last 2 weeks have been a whirlwind with all sorts of emotions. I got to go offshore which I was very thankful to be able to get out of the office some! The scary thing about this job was that I was going to be in charge of a memory logging tool by myself and I had never worked with it before . . . I ended up learning how to program it the night before I left! I had to go the next day since the other more experienced engineers with this tool could not go! That was pretty intimidating at first because one I was in charge of this operation/tool so it was up to me for this operation to go smoothly and two it was my first job ever for memory logging and perforating with guns!


When I got there I did a practice run of programming and testing that all the functions of the tool worked. Everything went smoothly. Then it was time to finally run the tool down the well. The most critical job was putting the battery into the tool so that the tool could actually record the data. You do not know until the tool is back up from the well that it recorded anything or not. Being a worrier those 4.5 hours of running the coiled tubing in and out of hole were very stressful!!

So I finally got the tool back up and had to dump all the data on the computer and interpret it which should be easy and was! I was able to get all the information but the problem was that I was not able to get that data off the computer or put any other file on because the computer could not read any USB. I had to combine to files to make a correlation so I had to be able to use a USB. Thankfully after 3 hours of troubleshooting I was finally able to get all the information of the computer and send it to the base (that was about 3 in the morning and I really wanted to just throw the computer like a frisbee into the ocean)! I could have been charged for this downtime but thankfully the client representatives liked me and just put "waiting for interpretation of data" in the report!!


Right after that we ran in hole again but this time with guns, and I had to make sure that we were in the right place in the well to fire the guns. If I did not fire the guns in the right place I could have been fired right there because that is a huge service quality rule . . . thankfully after being up 26 hours straight we had finished the job and everything went well and the client was pleased!!

No comments:

Post a Comment