Saturday, April 16, 2011

While Waiting for the Little Man to Arrive

When I went offshore I was first in a semi-submersible platform called IOLAIR. I had a room and bathroom to myself which was nice because one of the client bedrooms was free. Most of the time I was there in IOLAIR I was working or dealing with the client and logistics so the time went really fast and where I stayed did not matter to much. Because the clients liked me, however, I was able to check my email everyday, and everyday I was hoping for news of Jake but there was nothing.



After finishing the perferating job at that one well, we moved all our equipment to another semi-submersible platform called Brittannia. This platform is huge . . . around 700 people can live here at a time (normally other semis can only hold 300 people). This platform was really nice because it has women quarters that usually only have two beds. When I went to my assigned room there was already another women staying there but she was not in the room at the time I placed my bags and stuff in there to then go to eat. I got back from eating and she was really shocked when I walked in. I thought it was because of my height which was probably part of it. She was packing all here stuff and then told me that she was moving into another room. The reason was because she thought I was a guy. All she saw was my boots and coveralls (which are both really big especially considering the size of the women here in Mexico) and assumed that they were from a man!! She went to the supervisor of the platform and got him to move her to another women's room!! It made me laugh!!


While in Britannia, I spent a lot of time in the office of the client because we were waiting on a program/job to do. Well, I ended up talking a lot with all the clients and again for some reason they seemed to like me even though my spanish was not good sometimes!! They ended up inviting me to eat with them which was at a different time than everyone else on the platform and in a different room with different food. I ended up eating with the captain of the ship, doctor, etc. . . all the important people! The clients wanted me to stay there for a couple of weeks to perform more jobs. However within 2 days of being there I was being transferred to another platform to perform another operation with another crew. Again I checked my email everyday waiting for some good news but again nothing!

I was moved to the next well to possible do another memory logging and perferation job. The other platform needed me quick so I got to ride in a helicopter again. This time it was in a bigger helicopter and I had to ride to a lot of different platforms picking up and dropping off people. I literally was in a taxis that was in the shape of a helicopter! This time the platform was a small fixed platform. I lived with 3 other guys that were not part of my crew because the room at its own bathroom. This kind of platform just has a shared bathroom for all the crew and just a few rooms have there own bathroom. The client ended up not needing a memory log so I did not have to do another job with the special tool, however we did do a job pumping nitrogen in the formation. That job ended up taking 24 hours (installing and performing the job). Because of that I was not able to call home any . . . plus I was not as close to the clients at that job so I was not able to check my email regularly. I decided to call home the morning after the job and just asked jokingly has Jake come yet. I was expecting no but to my surprise he had!! He had been born the morning before while was pumping nitrogen in the well! I was soooooo excited and at the same time sad because I was not there with the rest of the family, and I was a day behind all the news! Thankfully, I ended going back to land that day so I was able to see pictures of the Little Man!!

Since I have been back on land I have gotten to see Jake on skype which was sooooo much fun. I just sat there watching him. I still cannot believe he is here. One reason is because I missed a lot of the process and have not held him yet. Thankfully, I am going home tomorrow for 12 days so I can finally feel like an aunt!!


Since I can't take a camera onboard I am lacking in photos of my experiences so here are just a couple of what I see around the office (my desk, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment