Sunday, August 26, 2012

New Year, New Apartment

With the new year came another change. I had to move right before I went to my ACTive course because our contract on the house had ended and the other 2 girls were moving out so I did not want to be in a big house all by myself!! My roommates moved out because one got married so she got a place with her husband and the other was transferred to another location in Mexico. I was sad to see them go because they both are great friends and it was fun making dinner and having movie nights with them!!

I did not really have much time to find a place but with luck one of the older engineers in my group was being transferred and she lived in an apartment 5 minutes from the base. When I was at home for Christmas I told her I would move in there sight unseen so she set that up with the owner!! When I got back from Christmas I meet with the owner, signed my contract and saw it for the first time!

The apartment is a loft style apartment, so a very open floor plan which I like. There is a small kitchen, living and dining area, and full bathroom on the ground floor, and the bedroom, half bath, closet, and area to do laundry (outside) in the upstairs. It is a perfect size for me (possible a little to big) and works well for what I need it for! Another positive is that I can walk to work in the morning (I get a ride back at night since that would not be too smart to walk in the dark) . . . I get exercise AND I do not have to get a taxis!!

Right now I do not have much in the apartment. I have a bed, hammock, tv, and a dining room set that I bought from the engineer that lived there before. I also bought a washing machine from her which is nice to have!!

When I moved in I realized that I am living by myself for the very first time in my life!! It has been nice because it is my space and I do not have to worry about disturbing anyone but it is hard because now I am in charge of now of paying all the bills!! It is hard to sometimes pay the bills because I cannot get my online banking to work for my Mexican checking account and I have been offshore like crazy this year!! In my first 4 months in the apartment I have actually only slept in my apartment for 15 days (stories about that to come)!! Evidence of my not living in my apartment came when my first electric bill came . . . it was only $4!!

 Picture of my empty apartment which to date is still the same!

Thanks Lizzie for the hammock . . . it has come in handy since I have no furniture!!

4 comments:

  1. Love the mezzanine floor level though - means not really a flat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Sarah. You have a very wonderful place! You should've added furniture by now. But, it still looks comfy and good just by that. I love the spacious vibes its giving me... It looks like I can breathe well living there, hehe. My place is actually a mess. I'm quite a busy person, how 'bout you?
    ~Marry Digg~

    ReplyDelete
  3. What better way to start a new year but to have a new residence! And I think that you have an incredible and snazzy loft! It looks laid-back and very comfy! I could imagine myself reading and relaxing on that wonderful hammock of yours!

    [Armandina Skerl]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just moved to a new house last week and for the first time, I am living by myself too. It’s really great coz you can do whatever you want there. I can design my house the way I want to and that’s the best part for me! Then, there are times when I miss my family and those daily bonding activities we used to do. ;)

    Erick Bush

    ReplyDelete