Saturday, August 11, 2012

Weekend in Dubai!

The second weekend of my course everyone in the class decided to go to Dubai since many had never been before. Oh course I went as well though I had been before, because who wouldn't want to go to Dubai. It is such a different and interesting city. The first day we a couple of us walked around the "old city" which is located in the middle of the city in the midst of towering modern office buildings. The "old city" had a market place and other cultural places to visit. Gustavo and I had a fun time trying on different traditional garb. We both ended up paying some head scarves, and I bought these really awesome handmade shoes . . . I was sooo surprised that they actually had my size!!


After a very fun time walking around the "old city" the whole group went to on a desert safari!! I had wanted to do this since the first time I went to Abu Dhabi for school but never got a chance to until now!! You ride in this pimped out Toyota SUVs and go dune bashing/4wheeling. Then you have time to take pictures of being completely surrounded by the desert . . . just you and sand and the beautiful sunset!!

Group shot . . . we were almost all jumping at the same time!!

Two middle easterners talking it out?! Nope just a normal conversation for an American and Mexican

I'm the king of the world!

Finally got to ride my camel too!!

After a very full and fun first day, we went more for a relaxing day the next day! We went to one of the beaches for a couple of hours. It actually was not warm enough to really go swimming. Go figure that would ever be the case in UAE when temperatures can exceed 120 F. After that we went to one of the huge malls which was great for me becasue my camera just happened to die during the trip :(. After almost 5 years of having it and traveled to 10+ countries it was sad to see it go. Thankfully it did happen in a place that cameras are readily available for purchase!! I ended up not being camera-less that long so I did not miss any of my adventures in traveling!!

Picture of the fountains at the mall with my new camera . . . not bad I say so myself!!

After another very fun weekend in Dubai, it was unfortunately time to go back to work! Good times with great people . . . God is good!!

1 comment:

  1. In Abu Dhabi Desert Safari

    I don't know why, but dune bashing always leaves me ready to puke too. It's worth it, maybe?

    ReplyDelete