Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Oh man for Oman!!

The last free weekend of my course Jeff, Rolando, and I decided it would be fun to go to Oman. Jeff originally was supposed to work there but then he was changed to Saudi. He had already done a lot of research and knew quite a few people there so the whole course he was asking if anyone else wanted to go. I wanted to go because when else would I get a chance to go to Oman . . . one because I did not have any visa issues like many of the other people in the class and two why not!! Rolando also decided to go since we had a visa to work in the UAE. Normally Mexicans only have a visa to enter UAE once but since he had a work visa for UAE it allowed him to leave and return to UAE without any problems.  

We fly to Muscat on Thursday night and when we arrived one of Jeff's friends picked us up and went for dinner. The next day we met up with the cousin of one of Jeff colleagues in Saudi. He was kind enough to be our tour guide for the day. He drove us to the out skirts of Muscat where you can see forts on every hill and mountain. Oman looks so much different then  UAE. There is actually mountains though they are dry and have no plant-life on it. The mountains were so different then I was used to I kind of fell in love with them . . . especially when an oasis of palm trees sprouted from nowhere. After a couple our drive we arrived toan older city that had a large market and fort in it. When we first entered the city (which was walled and gated like you here in the Bible) there was a large market. Since it was the weekend everybody was out selling their goats and sheep, birds, guns, you name it. It was soooo much fun because I finally felt like I was really experiencing Middle Eastern culture. It is different in UAE, it is all about what you have and is very modernized. I could have spent hours walking around this market and just soaking the people, smells, and culture.


Veggie market with Omanis in traditional dress. (they do not wear scarfs but have really cool hats)

 Awesome shop in the old city!! At some moments I felt like I was in Biblical time!

Camels ready to be sold at the market.

 The gang with the best tour guide and friend ever, Salim!!

Salim and Jeff ready for battle.

Jeff and me at the top of the fort.

Normal "fastfood" meal on the road. Rice and lamb with your hands!!

Hiking on a river bed that at the moment is completely dry!!

 Just one day in Oman and I love it and can't wait to see more!! I wish pictures could give justice to the beauty that I saw!!

No comments:

Post a Comment