Saturday, July 3, 2010

Aceite pozo con mi alma

So I have been here a month now which is crazy . . . time sure does fly with this job (hence there has not been any new posts for a while which I am sorry about). Yes, you still have your very slow days at work like everyone else but it is still so different than a desk job. I have been in the office a little more that before school due to jobs just starting to pick up again. Plus, there are 3 interns and 3 trainees (including myself) vying for the position to go to well with 1 of the 5 units here. I have been working a lot of instructions and manuals for the software we use and troubleshooting. I do it first in English so I can get my thoughts straight and then translate it to Spanish. I use a combination of the internet and what I know, and I thought I was doing a pretty good job. Well, I got my mentee, Lucero, and another trainee from Reynosa, Luisa, to check over and correct it . . . well they pretty much changed the whole thing!! Oh well, maybe next time!

I live in a hotel that is not glamorous but works for what I need. I have a clean bathroom with hot and cold water, a TV, and sometimes internet!! For the first 2 weeks I could not connect to it with my computer for some reason but I prayed every night that it would work and it finally did!! It was great because I finally got to talk to my family on Skype! The hotel is near the center of the city so there are actually shops and restaurants and people! The city is actually alive unlike Reynosa. Below is a picture of my room and bathroom . . . small but comfortable!


Of course I have been going to wells also. They have been interesting because the landscape here in Poza Rica is so much different than Reynosa. It is soooo much greener and full of life. Every house has a mango, banana, or lime tree. Plus there are more hills and mountains. The people are very similar to those in Reynosa, however . . . I still work with a bunch of guys, enough said! The people here do however seem to enjoy each other's company more. One of the engineers had her "breakout" (which is what I am working on right now) so she had a little get together. A lot of the operators and other engineers came which would not have happened like it did if it was in Reynosa. Below is a picture of one of the views I had at a well and a place we ate at on the gulf coast!

Coming back to Mexico in the summer has been really hard to adjust to. You just walk outside and you are soaked . . . it is miserable if you are in the sun. The first time I went to a well I thought I was going to die . . . I had not sweat that much since summer soccer practices during my club years. I drank so much water tI thought I was going to float away!! However, I never had to use the bathroom which is always a good thing when you have to use a port-a-potty or worse!!

No comments:

Post a Comment